Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Book Review: Freakonomics

That didn't take long.

I've started to read while I play poker...if I don't do something to occupy myself during the game, I get incredibly bored and start playing shit hands.

The authors apply tools of economics to other problems, and the results are eye-opening. The idea that legalized abortion can reduce the crime rate isn't something that I would have imagined on my own...but it makes perfect sense when you follow the data through. Mathematically proving that sumo wrestlers fix fights...another application of economic tools that I'd never think up.

I definitely recommend this one...it's a must for math geeks, but also a good book for just about anyone who is willing to question conventional wisdom.

Now, I'm almost embarrassed to admit, I'm starting on The Da Vinci Code. Normally I steer clear of anything that wildly popular, but I'm finally giving in and checking it out. Anything that pisses off the Catholic church is worth a look.

1 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger sparrowlegs said...

Wow that was fast (sounds like...). I'm glad you liked it.

Funny you should mention The Da Vinci Code. I'm reading it too. I expect that you'll be finished reading it on Thursday. I'll be finished sometime in June. I'm hoping to have it read before they pull the movie from theaters (assuming it's worth $7).

So far I'm enjoying The Da Vinci Code. I didn't find it to be the "page turner" that everyone said it would be...until after page 60. Now I'm interested.

In related news, the History Channel is airing "Opus Dei Unveiled" tonight at 8:00PM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home