Monday, May 01, 2006

I am so smart, S-M-R-T

You know that silly Alanis Morrissette song about irony, where none of the examples she gives are actually ironic? Well she could take a lesson from these crazy kids.

See if you can find the irony yourself (hints in bold.)

Immigrants, who have illegally come to the U.S. because they need jobs are protesting today by skipping work. Their protest will cause businesses that hire immigrants and fight for immigrants' rights to shut down and lose money. They are lined up in city streets, waving Latin American flags while chanting We are Americans!

I don't have a strong opinion on the immigration topic one way or another. Cheap labor keeps the cost of goods and services down. I don't feel culturally or professionally threatened by immigrants, and I'd just as soon have them as citizens so we can tax their wages.

I do have some confusion over the whole protest though...you came to America illegally, you have a job and place to live than is far better than what you could get at home, and now you deserve citizenship? If I reduce this to a syllogism, it works out to: I stole A and B, now give me C or I'll stop taking A. Huh?

Here's a word of advice: pissing everyone off, especially those who have fought the hardest for you, is not the best way to gain friends and support for your cause. These rallies do nothing but further polarize the nation on the topic, and force people who might otherwise be sympathetic to your plight to sit in massive traffic jams or miss work. And maybe threaten something else other than the very thing your opponents are asking for (no illegal immigrants working in the U.S.), because you just never know when you might get what you wish for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home