Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Republicans: the Anti-Intellectuals

It isn't enough that Republicans are pushing a medically inaccurate curriculum to a school near you. It's not enough that they own the surpreme court, are outlawing gay marriage everywhere, on their way to making abortion illegal again, and inhibiting scientific research into stem cells...now they are politicizing the agenda of a scientific conference for...scientists.

If you voted Republican because lower taxes are more important to you than human rights, at least I can see where you are coming from. But it has to stop now. One thing I cannot accept is blatant anti-intellectualism. Intentionally lying about reality...to scientists, no less...in order to further their agenda of hatred.

If you claim to have any intelligence, if you have any pride in the fact that you are a more dynamic life form than a chimp, if you have ever considered yourself more worthy of existence than a pig, then you have no choice but to stand up to these anti-intellectual thugs. Vote them out of every office they hold in November, for the sake of our species.

Now, if there was only a better option than the Democrats...

2 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger millhousethecat said...

A "fear-based abstinence only until marriage" curriculum for high school students? Come on. There are so many things wrong with the title of this program "Worth the Wait." The fact that they actually hope to scare kids into not having sex is the single most ridiculous tactic I've ever heard of. The very nature of a teenaged boy is the lack of fear, the lack of inhibition, the lack of waiting. Instant gratification, baby. And maybe if I lay down in the middle of the street, this car will go right over me!

If you are waiting to start your health curriculum that deals with sex (yes, I said SEX) until your students are in high school, you've already missed the boat. 40% of kids lose their virginity by the time they're 14 years old (that's 8th grade for those of you counting). By waiting until 10th grade or longer --- you don't have many left to reach.

And by burying your head in the sand and teaching that abstinence is the only option, you're cutting off the emotional component tied to sex, the very thing that overly hormonal girls (and let's face it, boys,too) are combating in middle and high school.

Get real. Abstinence is a fine option. You'll notice I said option. But it isn't the answer. Let's talk to those inner city girls whose very culture leaves them feeling as though having a baby at a young age will provide them with someone to love, who will have to love them back. Let's talk to those horny boys who need to know how to put a condom on correctly so that there isn't a need for all of the welfare programs the Republicans don't want to support anyway. I could go on and on, but I won't. I'm preaching to the choir here.

Jesus. Wake up.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger sparrowlegs said...

Hey! It's like Freaky Friday...only it's Wednesday. I had to do a double-take when I read Sherry's comment. I thought for sure I was reading a Sweet Tea comment on The Litter Box.

They must have said this at the same time:
"I wish I could be sweettea for just one day."
"I wish I could be millhousethecat for just one day."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home