Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The New Election, Same as the Old Election

Now that final cuts have come and gone, I can spare a thought for something not Eagles related.

Vice presidents shouldn't matter at all, I know, but the symbolism of the Palin pick is inescapable. I've never had less respect for John McCain.

Palin isn't just conservative on social issues, she's fanatical. Palin is against abortion in all cases, even when the woman is raped or her life is threatened by the pregnancy, and strongly opposed to gay marriage. She's not a do-nothing like W, she would do everything in her power to legislate those values as president and make sure the Supreme Court was stacked to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Way to go, Maverick McCain. You had a chance to thumb your nose at the religious right, picking someone like Tom Ridge or Joe Lieberman, and declare your independence from those hateful, intolerant members of the Republican Party. But instead you are bowing to them completely, offering up one of their own to be a cancerous heartbeat away from the presidency.

So here we are again. After all this talk about mavericks, about change, it's just another election where I'm forced to choose between giving up my money to the Democrats, or giving up my freedom to the Republicans. I despise that choice - I don't understand why no one can govern with common sense and respect for the freaking Constitution - but when forced to choose, my decision is always the same.

I can make more money. Freedom, once given away, must be repurchased with blood.

1 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger millhousethecat said...

I couldn't have said it better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home