Monday, September 08, 2008

The Joy of Rediscovery

One of the tracks on Madden '09 is a song called Never Wanted to Dance. It's full of energy and is unique enough to defy standard categorization. I was intrigued, since it's not the usual Madden fare that alternates between hard rock and hip hop.



I liked it enough to download the song, and the more I listened to it, the more I couldn't shake a sense of familiarity. A band that describes itself as a "hyper-bizarre mix of hip-hop, metal, punk, and electronica" has a unique enough sound that it shouldn't remind me of anything else, yet the more I listened, the more convinced I was that I'd heard something like them before.

I started to download other Mindless Self-Indulgence songs, and then finally I found the source of familiarity. I listened to this same band for a brief time 10 years ago, even put two of their songs on my Happy Mix, highlighted by this gem called Faggot:
(sorry about the gay anime intro, but I got bored of searching youtube for something better)


Somehow I'd forgotten all about this band, and then stumbled upon their new music several years later. And they don't seem to have matured, cooled down, or sold out to the mainstream one bit. I was so pleased by the fortuitous rediscovery that I did something my kids will never do: I bought an audio CD. It finally arrived today, after a week of breathlessly awaiting the Free Super Saver Shipping! from amazon.



So if you're in the mood for something energetic and bizarre, check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home