Friday, August 11, 2006

Movie Review: The Aristocrats

A fascinating documentary about a joke that every comedian knows, but you've never heard. It's not even a funny joke, but this movie will have you laughing anyway. Interviews with an amazing range of comedians, from Phyllis Diller and Rip Taylor to Steven Wright and George Carlin, about the origins and lifespan of this joke.

Once or twice I felt like the movie was dragging, but a funny scene was right around the corner to pull me out of my malaise. If you like comedy at all, and you aren't easily offended, I'd recommend this movie.

Someone like Jeff Deppen would really like this flick. Too bad he didn't show up to watch it.

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger millhousethecat said...

Great movie, no? I agree it was slow at some points, and sometimes I wish they would have let the camera roll instead of cutting to someone else, but a few times I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

But Deppen? He didn't show? Wow. That's so unlike him. I mean, he comes to the Christmas party, like, every year.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger MarkRebuck said...

I enjoyed it more when I watched the raw footage of each performer (in the bonus features section of the DVD). I agree that the main-line film was a bit slow.

And I have to say, the South Park Version was far and away the best version in the movie :-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home