Sunday, April 25, 2010

Andy Reid is smarter than everyone

If there's one thing we've learned about Big Red over the years, it's that he doesn't change. His core set of beliefs have served him well - he is indisputably the best coach in Eagles history - and he will never waver from those beliefs, even when presented with evidence to the contrary.

The perfect example is the Eagles third-round pick, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim. An undersized DE with a sixth-round grade, he fits the profile exactly of previous Eagles busts like Chris Gocong and Bryan Smith. Fourth-rounder Keenan Clayton fits the mold of former flame-outs Barry Gardner and Quentin Caver. Both of these players were there for the taking in the sixth round, neither fits a need, and neither will make an impact with the Eagles.

But instead of a pick-by-pick bashing of the Eagles, I'm going to just redo the first three rounds of the draft how I would have done it (without all the goofy trades). In a few years, I'll compare my draft below with Big Red's picks and we'll see who turns out better. I'm going to take picks from my recommendations post whenever possible.


I'm not going to dig into the lower rounds, because frankly I've lost track of what picks the Eagles had originally before all of their draft day trades. I did like the selection of Ricky Sapp and Riley Cooper, and maybe those guys wouldn't have been available if the Eagles don't trade for a dozen extra fourth-round picks, but I'd rather have second- and third-round talent. I really want to be wrong, but it sure looks like the Eagles outsmarted themselves again. By staying put and taking the best players available, they would have added quality at positions of need, instead of reaching for positions they didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home