Monday, July 30, 2007

The Simpsons Experience

I saw the Simpsons Movie on Friday with my family.

It's a solid movie that fans of the show will enjoy. There were several times I laughed out loud - mostly during the first 30 minutes, which is hilarious. There are also a few 'blue' moments - Marge swears and Bart's weiner appears on the big screen - but overall it's just a long Simpsons episode. As Homer says in the beginning of the film, as he's watching the Itchy and Scratchy movie: "I can't believe I paid money to watch something I can see for free on TV."

If I sound a bit disappointed, I'm not. I just want to be cautious when setting expectations. If you think the Simpsons writers have been saving up their best jokes and biggest ideas for 18 years, you're wrong. It's a fast-paced 85 minutes, very enjoyable and funny, but not groundbreaking.

Although...my kids and I are still singing the "Spider-Pig" song.

Spider Pig, Spider Pig
Does whatever a Spider Pig does
Can he swing from a web?
No he can't, he's a pig.
Look out! Here comes the Spider Pig!

Genius.

Speaking of genius...the same generic movie idiot who seems to follow me to each movie I attend was again sitting directly behind me. He predictably read every word on the screen and pointed out the punchlines that were obvious to even my five-year-old son. Parents of this idiot, wherever you are; you should be extremely proud of this brain-dead fleshbag that you've inflicted upon my existence. At least his friend tried valiantly to contain the oozing stupidity.

As Marge knits a "Dome Sweet Dome" sign...

Idiot: (chuckling) Dome, instead of Home.
Idiot's Friend: (whispering) Shut up!

When Rainier Wolfcastle sits behind a plaque reading 'President Schwarzenegger'...

Idiot: That's Rainier Wolfcastle.
Idiot's Friend: I know, shut up!

When something hilariously improbable happens...

Idiot: Wow, that was lucky.
Idiot's Friend: Of course, shut up!

When Siamese twins make an appearance...

Idiot: They're conjoined.
Idiot's Friend: Shut up!

And so on, ad nauseum.

Somehow, I still enjoyed the movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home