Monday, November 06, 2006

A Case Against Faith

Take some time out at work today, or for some of you, time between soap-operas, and read this article about the damage caused by religion.

A couple of teaser quotes for those who aren't motivated enough by my recommendation:

  • It is, of course, taboo to criticize a person's religious beliefs. The problem, however, is that much of what people believe in the name of religion is intrinsically divisive, unreasonable and incompatible with genuine morality.
  • The truth is that President Bush's unjustified religious beliefs about the human soul are, at this very moment, prolonging the scarcely endurable misery of tens of millions of human beings.
  • (and my favorite)We are living in a world in which millions of Christians hope to soon be raptured into the stratosphere by Jesus so that they can safely enjoy a sacred genocide that will inaugurate the end of human history.


Definitely worth a read.

In non-religious news, the new Borat movie is enjoying both critical acclaim and box office success. And although I haven't seen it, so my opinion could change after I actually watch it, I just can't figure out why this joke is so funny. It's the same joke from Candid Camera, and Punk'd, and Ali G, ad nauseum...the let's-pretend-we're-something-we're-not-to-make-some-knucklehead-look-foolish joke. Borat heads South, to our beloved red-state Bible belt, to expose the racism, sexism, religious intolerance, and general stupidity of rodeo attendees and gun-store owners. Maybe I'm in the minority of people who aren't actually shocked by these 'revelations', but I have a hard time imagining an original and witty treatment of this tired material that would keep me entertained for (a refreshingly short) 84-minute running time. There are certain to be some memorable quotes (Borat: What is best gun for killing Jews? Gun store owner: [without missing a beat] That would be a 9mm or .45), but I'm more likely to be embarrassed for humanity in general, and sickened that these slack-jaws can legally vote and carry weapons. And I don't need to pay $8 to feel that way.

And finally, a great Simpsons moment from last night's Halloween episode:

Kang, speaking to Kodos, with a landscape of destruction behind him: "It's been three years since our invasion, and the humans still resent our occupation. You told me that we'd be welcomed as liberators!"

3 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger sparrowlegs said...

What a fantastic article. I can't believe it was published by mainstream media -- Newsweek? MSNBC?. The first paragraph is my favorite.

The author of this article was mentioned in the Wired article: The Church of the Non-believers.

I guess I'll be reading some of his books.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger millhousethecat said...

This sort of article angers me, only in the sense that it points out how completely irrational too many people are in their beliefs.

"600 years after the Sumerians invented glue..."

Please: Vote.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Sweet Tea said...

Yes...although I failed to mention it in my blog, what struck about the article was not the content, but the fact that it appeared in Newsweek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home