Thursday, October 19, 2006

Departed/300

Finally saw The Departed tonight, and that was one fantastic movie. I won't go into a lot of detail, as I'd mostly repeat what Sherry said, but it was the best movie I've seen in a long time.

The fact that I could even sit through a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio is an endorsement by itself...but the fact that the movie actually made me care about the character is an even stronger one. He's one of those actors, like Orlando Bloom, who I usually wish to be maimed or killed (on screen, of course) in some creative way, regardless of the role they are playing.

Also...Matt Damon with a South Boston accent, can't help but remind of another excellent movie (Hey Carmen, remember me? It's Will.)

I have trouble recalling a movie with Jack Nicholson where he doesn't completely steal the show, but it happens here. DiCaprio and Damon play convincing roles, and the writing gives them plenty of opportunities to shine.

Sherry: I didn't notice the wig, sorry. But I did dig up that Irish music for you.

What's perhaps even more exciting than the movie itself was one of the trailers for 300. I'm more than a little scared by the phrase "inspired by the graphical interpretation of Frank Miller", but I'm willing to accept some overdone artistry if it fairly portrays the amazing bravery of the Greek soliders at the Battle of Thermopylae.

A tiny Greek army, led by an elite force of 300 Spartan hoplites, held a mountain pass against ~150,000 Persians (the exact number is a matter of historical dispute) for three days, killing 20,000 Persians in the process, hoping in vain for the Athenian reinforcements to arrive. On the third day, they were betrayed, and a local man led the Persian Immortals up a little-known mountain pass so they could get behind the Greek defenders and surround them. Realizing the betrayal, the Spartan king Leonidas sent away the tiny army and swore to fight a delaying action with his 300 men so the army could escape. Seven-hundred Thebans chose to stand with the Spartans, and their last stand was legendary.

Surrounded, the Greeks charged into the Persian horde. When their spears broke, they fought with their swords, and when their swords finally broke they are said to have attacked with nails and teeth. With thousands of their comrades dead, and afraid to lose more, the Persain army actually retreated from the exhausted, weaponless Greeks, and killed them with hails of arrows.

Leonidas said "when this battle is over, the world will know that few stood against many." Xerxes, after watching the Greeks shred his troops, reportedly said "I have a numberless army, but few men." I am really psyched to see this historic battle portrayed on the big screen. I'm certain the movie won't live up to my expectations, but I can't wait to see it anyway.

3 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger millhousethecat said...

JC and I saw the trailer for 300 as well and turned toward one another and said at the same time, "Sweettea is seeing that one."

Even though it features men fighting in speedos.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Sweet Tea said...

Even better, the Spartans were famous for doing pre-battle calisthenics naked.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger sparrowlegs said...

There's something I didn't need to know.

Going back to something a little less awkward... I'm glad you liked Departed. I liked Marky Mark's character. But what was with the haircut?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home