Monday, April 07, 2008

This won't be me

As you may have noticed, I don't put a lot of effort into this blog. More than some, certainly, but that's a low hurdle to stumble over.

Alas, not everyone can resist the siren call of self-destruction (through blogging) as easily as I can. The New York Times actually wrote about Death By Blogging.

Never mind that the article is a tiresome exercise in sensationalist journalism - they extrapolate a destructive trend from a sample size of five. (Guys who sit in front of their computers all day, not exercising, suffering heart attacks in their 50s and 60s. Yeah, clearly that a perfect cause-effect relationship between blogging and death.)

Still, I couldn't help but laugh at some of the stories.

“I haven’t died yet,” said Michael Arrington, the founder and co-editor of TechCrunch, a popular technology blog. The site has brought in millions in advertising revenue, but there has been a hefty cost. Mr. Arrington says he has gained 30 pounds in the last three years, developed a severe sleeping disorder and turned his home into an office for him and four employees. “At some point, I’ll have a nervous breakdown and be admitted to the hospital, or something else will happen.”

“This is not sustainable,” he said.

Here's an idea, Mikey: Stop blogging. Take the millions of dollars you've made, buy a gym membership and apply for a faculty position at the local community college. You can regale pretty young girls with stories of your success for the next 30 years and live a stress-free life. Or just die early, leaving behind a bloated bank account and an even more bloated corpse. The amazing accomplishments you're killing yourself for will be forgotten and replaced before the grass sprouts on your grave.

In other news, I finished reading The Born Queen this weekend. It was a poorly-paced conclusion to a promising series. The carefully constructed and varied characters were each possessed (lazy choice of words, but I'm not wasting the time to explain more) by mad, power-hungry creatures of the past. In the process, they lost their distinct personalities and I lost all connection to them as a reader.

Tonight is playoff time again in my hockey leagues. Let's hope we fare better than our recent trips to the playoffs, which have all been once-and-done. I might blog about the results tomorrow, but then again, I need to be careful I'm not overworking myself.

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The amazing accomplishments you're killing yourself for will be forgotten and replaced before the grass sprouts on your grave."

This line made the entire article worth reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home