Wednesday, March 05, 2008

We Matter! I think...

For the first time I can remember, the Pennsylvania presidential primary (I tried for about 10 minutes to think up a less-than-dorky way to include the word 'perspicacity' in that orgy of alliteration) will have meaning, at least for one of the parties.

Somehow - and I won't claim to know how - Hillary halted the Obama inevitability machine with wins in Texas, Ohio, and Rhode Island last night. I'm intentionally resisting the temptation to make sports comeback analogies or phoenix references, because you can get those in every other article you'll read about her campaign today. Mathematically, it still looks fairly bleak, although wildcards like Michigan, Florida, and pandering superdelegates will certainly make it an interesting convention.

Regardless, it's so historic that I'll actually vote in a primary for the first time this month. There's never been a time that it mattered before - Pennsylvania is so late in the season that the nominations are routinely sewed up long before. Living in Harrisburg, I might even get a chance to see one or both of the Democratic candidates in person. Not sure I'll take advantage of the opportunity, but I'm celebrating the fact that I have a choice for once.

Pennsylvania - a highly populous state with more than its fair share of delegates, considered a swing state in a general election - and we have less to say about the future leader of our country than the ethanol farmers in Iowa or the seventeen residents of New Hampshire. Try not to think about it too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home