Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Easy target

Well the Winter Olympics are here again. That means it's time for an endless parade of curling jokes. And rather than simply piling on in an obvious way, I'll relate a conversation about curling that has my joke embedded within! Subtle and insidious.

Instead of my favorite stock-picking show last night, CNBC was airing the US-Finland curling match. Like a train wreck in super-slow motion, I had to watch a few minutes of it while dressing the kids for bed.

3-year-old son: Daddy, what are they doing?
Me: Playing a game called curling.
Son: What's curling?
Me: I don't have the foggiest idea, son. Apparently they slide rocks along the ice into other rocks.
Son: Why are they doing that?
Me: It's a game, invented by Canadians. After a long day of drinking beer and chasing moose through the snow, this is what they came up with.

At this point my lovely wife (Happy Valentine's Day, honey!) intervened and chastised me for bashing our neighbors to the north, especially in a historically inaccurate manner.

In case you're wondering, the US lost to the Finns 4-3, despite having the hammer rock in the fifth end. After bouncing their rock off another rock, which was an incredibly poor decision according to the announcers, both teams stood over the rocks and agreed that Finland won the match.

Speaking of easy targets, it turns out that Dick Cheney didn't have a license to hunt quail. Good thing he shot a lawyer instead, which actually counts as community service in Texas.

Bought a little Marvell Technologies today. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to consider playing poker with my retirement money. My returns can't get much worse!

1 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger millhousethecat said...

I once had a hammer rock in my fifth end. And boy, did that hurt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home